E-mail archiving in Thunderbird (Windows)
- Open Thunderbird.
- Click the e-mail folder of your choice with the right mouse button. If you wish to choose all your university e-mail, click on the Inbox folder with the right mouse button.
- Select (Properties) (Ominaisuudet) and then the Synchronization (Synkronointi) tab.
- Tick Select this folder for offline use and click Download Now.
Now your e-mail has been archived on your computer and you can read it offline.
Transferring archived e-mail to another computer
If you have a valid HY (UH) username, the most recommended way of transferring your e-mail to another computer is to set Thunderbird to read Office 365 mail.
If your username has expired, first follow the instructions above and then do the following:
- First, you should locate the file to which your e-mail has been saved.
- Open Tools (Työkalut) > Account Settings (Tiliasetukset) > Local Folders (Paikalliset kansiot).
- The address of the directory containing your e-mail is shown in the Local directory (Paikallinen hakemisto) field.
Copy the contents of said directory to, for example, a memory stick.
- Next, locate the local file of the target computer (on which you have already installed Thunderbird) in the same manner as above.
- Copy the materials to this file and start Thunderbird.