These instructions only apply to users who have been working in the local Microsoft Exchange environment and now switch to using cloud services.
The changes made in phase 2 below take place overnight, which is why you must reserve enough time before moving to the next phase.
We recommend you to go through phases 1 and 2 at the end of your work day and proceed to phase 3 the following day.
In the migration, the contents of your mailbox are automatically moved to the Office 365 cloud environment. Sensitive materials must be removed from folders BEFORE the migration.
- Before migration, create a backup copy of the e-mails according to these instructions. If you haven't started using Outlook yet, do it now according to these instructions.
- Order a cloud mailbox with this form. Everyone shall accept the EULA electronically regardless of whether they have previously accepted it on paper. Instructions on how to order a mailbox.
- The browser's cache still contains the data of the local server. Clear the browser's cache according to these instructions. Step 4 (logging into OWA) is not possible if the cache hasn't been emptied.
- Log into OWA at https://office365.helsinki.fi.
Enter your username as email@example.com.
- Log into Outlook. Enter your username as firstname.lastname@example.org. Restart Outlook. After this, the mail system is functional again.
- For computers covered by centralised application maintenance, logging into browser e-mail may require a couple of additional identifications. This is a temporary problem which will be resolved once the browser used on university computers is updated.
- Remove the e-mail accounts of mobile devices and recreate them. Instructions are available in the mobile instructions page.
- Check the visibility of calendars and share your calendars again, if necessary.
- If you use Thunderbird for reading your e-mail, check the settings according to these instructions.
- If you use Macintosh Mail for reading your e-mail, check the settings according to these instructions.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?