Outlook in mobile devices
Microsoft Outlook is a mobile application produced by Microsoft and recommended to university students and staff for the use of Office 365 e-mail. The application has its own sections for e-mail, calendar, contact information, and attachments.
You can also use the e-mail application of the device, if you wish.
An Android 5.0.2 device (Samsung Galaxy tab) has been mainly used in the illustrations of the instructions. The Apple (iOS) application mostly functions in the same way.
- Install Microsoft Outlook from the AppStore or Google Play Store.
- Log in to your account with firstname.lastname@example.org (e.g. email@example.com)
- If the login is successful, the software is ready to use.
Install Microsoft Outlook from the store on the mobile device (AppStore / Google Play Store).
When the application has been installed, open it from the quick-launch icon on your desktop or from the direct link in the store.
Select Get started.
The application explains the basic functions with a few swipes, and then, you will be able to add an account (Add Account).
Next, the application will ask you to log in:
- Enter your Office 365 username in the format firstname.lastname@example.org (e.g. email@example.com) and the password.
- Select Sign In and you will be signed in to your e-mail.
- The software is now ready to use.
The bottom of the screen will have quick-launch icons for e-mail, calendar, e-mail attachments, contract information, and settings (on iOS devices):
The view of the Android interface is otherwise similar but the settings are found in the top right-hand corner of the screen under a menu marked with three points.
In the settings, you can adjust Notifications, your signature, and the organisation of messages in the mailbox. You can also add other e-mail accounts in addition to your Office 365 account.
You can add other cloud services as well, such as Box, Dropbox, and Google Drive. Remember to always comply with the cloud service policy of the university!
There are three types of calendar views: Day, Week (or 3 days), and Agenda.
- In the Agenda view, you can browse the monthly calendar and it will display the daily events on the bottom of the screen.