Using the Download Centre
The university offers various programs for its students' and staff's home devices to download through its software download centre. For information on what programs are on offer, see Software licences and home use rights. The range of software offered to different users varies according to the user group.
Are you looking for software applications you can install on Windows computers covered by the university’s centralised administration? They can be found here.
- Navigate to the University of Helsinki download centre: www.helsinki.fi/ohjelmistojakelu.
- Click on Programs to access the directory links.
- Click the directory link for the desired program.
- Now you can see the actual downloadable file. The download will begin when you click the file link in the box. The box contains further information on the file to be downloaded and a link to possible further information, as well as any codes the installation might need. If a code is visible, save it as you will need it to install the software on your computer.
- Remember to log out!
- With your browser, navigate to the University of Helsinki download centre: www.helsinki.fi/ohjelmistojakelu.
- Type your main user name and password into the text fields in the login window. Click the Submit (Kirjaudu) button to log in.
- After loggin in, click on Programs to access the directory links. There are several directory links in the window which opens. They lead to different program groups. The header of the view has a short description of the contents. Click the directory link for the desired program, and you can access the subfolders or downloadable files within the program group in question. The folder may contain one or more files. All the files related to installing a specific program are in the same folder. You can return to the previous folder by clicking the directory path link above the file listing.
- If you know a program is available in the software distribution service but cannot see it, usually the reason is that you do not have rights to download it because you are a part of a special group. Various limitations apply if you are e.g. a docent, a scholarship-funded researcher, a part-time teacher, performing your non-military service, taking complementary studies, absent from your studies or studying in the Open University. However, the license agreements allow exceptions for some programs and groups, so people belonging to these groups should make sure if they have the rights to install these programs when acquiring them. For more information, contact the Helpdesk.
- Click the link for the desired program. This will open a folder which contains either the downloadable software or more subfolders, in which case you must click the link for the version you want. You will know the actual downloadable program by its brief description.
- If you do not accept the license agreement, downloading the software will not be possible, you will receive an error message and be forwarded to the previous page.
- Once you have accepted the license agreement, you will be presented with your own folder, named after your user name (the user name in the top right corner – helsinki.fi). This folder contains all the files you have selected for download by accepting the license agreement. The folder exists for one hour at a time, so if, for example, you are disconnected from the Internet or there is another problem, you can log back in to your folder and retrieve the installation packages.
- In your own folder you can see the actual downloadable file. The box contains further information on the file to be downloaded and a link to possible further information, as well as any codes the installation might need. If a code is visible, save it as you will need it to install the software on your computer. The download will begin when you click the file link in the box ("Download file"). Click on the Programs link if you want to return to the main listing.
- Log out by clicking the link on the upper right.