Upgrade of Windows 7 desktop computers to Windows 10
These instructions apply to Windows 7 desktop computers covered by the university’s centralised administration.
NOTE! The upgrade will take 3 to 12 hours, depending on the size of the hard disks on your desktop computer! Start the upgrade at the end of your workday. If, after 12 hours, the upgrade is still running, please contact Helpdesk.
Support for Windows 7 ends in January 2020. As the support ends, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates for Windows 7. As of 2 January 2020, the IT Center will block Windows 7 computers from the university network.
Your unit will decide whether your desktop computer will be discarded, replaced or upgraded. The contact person of your unit will tell you what to do.
Windows 10 will be installed on your desktop computer when you follow these instructions:
- You can start the installation yourself. The HY menu will also inform you about the upgrade. You should start the upgrade when you know that you will not be using your computer for about 12 hours, that is, for example, at the end of a working day. Note that the upgrade will take 3 to 12 hours, depending on the size of the hard disks on your computer. If, after 12 hours, the upgrade is still running, please contact Helpdesk.
- Make sure your computer is plugged in and connected to a wired network.
- Make sure your computer's C: drive has at least 15 GB free space for the installation.
- During the upgrade, you will see various views displayed on your computer screen. DO NOT TOUCH THE COMPUTER DURING THE UPGRADE PROCESS!
- During the upgrade, the IT Center will back up the data on your computer, so your applications and files will be safe.
How to start the upgrade
- Make sure your desktop computer is plugged in and connected to a wired network.
- Start the upgrade process in the Software Center by clicking on the Inplace Upgrade button in the Operating System tab.
Instructions on how to use the Software Center.
- The image on your screen changes during the installation. DO NOT TOUCH THE COMPUTER DURING THE UPGRADE PROCESS!
When the upgrade is complete
- When the installation is ready, you will see the message “Windows 10 was installed successfully, press ok to reboot”.
- Click OK. Your desktop computer restarts, after which you can continue working as usual.
In case of any problems, please contact Helpdesk.
Read Helpdesk’s Windows 10 instructions: https://helpdesk.it.helsinki.fi/en/help/10501.