These instructions have been prepared for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), but they can be applied to other operating system versions with some adjustments. The instructions may also be applied to third-party applications, such as Thunderbird.
You can add a shared mailbox using the same instructions with käyttäjätunnus@ad.helsinki.fi/jaettu-postilaatikko as the username.
Please note: The error message that appears during the installation phase is normal, and gives no cause for concern. After this you will see the box in which to enter the Office 365 username.
Adding an account to the OS Mail application
- Click System Preferences > Internet Accounts and choose Exchange as the account type.
Fill in the fields
- Name: First name and last name (shown as the sender of e-mails).
- Email address: your helsinki.fi e-mail address (such as firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: your password
- Tap Sign In
You get a message: Unable to verify account name or password.
Fill in the required fields:
- User name: email@example.com
- Tap Sign In
NB! In some cases you might need insert a server address: outlook.office365.com
- From the list, select the Office 365 services that you want to use with the OS X applications (Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Reminders).
- Click Done and start the Mail application.
- NB! Calendars are shown in the Calendar application.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?