Installation of the Eduroam network on Ubuntu
These instructions are intended for home computers. Eduroam is preinstalled on the university’s Cubbli computers. See further instructions here.
If automatic installation for some reason fails, try manual installation, instructions for which are available here. The instructions are intended for Chromebook, but can also be applied to other operating systems.
With these instructions, you can install the Eduroam profile on your device with the help of the installation file without having to define connection settings manually. The instructions are intended for Ubuntu version 12.04 but can also be applied to other versions..
- Go to cat.eduroam.org
- Click the button
- In the opening list, select your home organisation.
- Select your device’s operating system from the list.
- Save the installer file on your computer.
- Open the Ubuntu terminal by clicking the icon on the left side of the screen.
- If there is no terminal icon on the desktop, type “terminal” in the search field.
- Double-click the Terminal icon.
- The terminal will open.
- Find the installation file you have saved.
- You must enter an execution right for the installation file (with administrator rights) with the command
sudo chmod 700 file.py
start installation with the command
- The installation begins. Click OK.
- The installer checks that you are member of the University of Helsinki. Click Yes.
- Enter your username as email@example.com (such as firstname.lastname@example.org) OR email@example.com (such as firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click OK.
Enter your password and click OK.
- Re-enter your password and click OK.
- The installation is complete. Click OK.
- Click eduroam.
- Fill in the fields as in the picture and click Connect.
NOTE: enter your username in the form email@example.com (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Make sure that you have selected Store the password only for this user in Password field.