Installation of Pulse Secure on the home computer
These instructions apply only to the home computers of university staff and students. See the instructions for computers under the university's administration.
Download the Pulse Secure installation package from the Download Centre. You can find it under Software > Pulse Secure.
- Select the installation package according to your operating system.
- Download the software on your computer. According to the default settings, the package is downloaded into the Downloads folder.
- Start the installation program and follow the instructions of the installation program. You can install the program using the default settings.
The required settings are entered when the program is started the first time.
Start the Pulse Secure program (Start > Pulse Secure).
- This opens a new window. Click the plus sign under Connections. This opens a window for specifying the information of the VPN connection.
Fill in the following fields:
- Connection name: name of your choice (e.g. hy-vpn)
- Server URL:
- Click Add.
- Try to log in by clicking Connect. Enter your username (e.g. rkeskiva) and password and click Connect. If the connection is established, you will get a notification. If the connection fails, you may try to modify the settings by clicking the pen icon.
In the future, you can click Connect to establish a connection.
The program will ask for your username and password if you didn't save them before.
When you have logged in to VPN, you can go to the browser. Www.ipchicken.com, for example, allows you to check your IP address. The university's IP addresses start with 128.214.
The dictionary NetMot, for example, is also directly available when the VPN connection has been established.
When you want to disconnect the VPN connection, open Pulse Secure main window and click Disconnect.