Using the Home directory (z drive) remotely in Windows
These instructions are intended for home computers. The university’s centrally administered computers have their own instructions here.
You can establish a remote connection from your home computer to your home directory. You can access your files and folders as usual. All changes made through the remote connection will be stored.
Another way of accessing your home directory is to use a VPN portal. See more detailed instructions.
Make sure that you have established a secure remote connection (VPN connection) between your home computer and the University of Helsinki network.
Open direct access to your home directory (the Z drive containing all your files) as follows.
Use a keyboard shortcut Windows + E to open the File Explorer. Click the This PC shortcut icon (see image below) in the directory structure on the left side of the window.
Open the Computer tab at the top of the This PC window. Click the Map network drive button.
The Map Network Drive window opens. Fill out as follows (see the image below):
|first letter of username||home#|
|b c d e||home1|
|f g h||home2|
|n o p||home6|
|q r s||home7|
|t u v||home8|
|w x y z||home9|
For example, the username of Raimo Keski-Vääntö is rkeskiva. Accordingly, the address of his home directory is
- From the menu, choose an unassigned letter for Drive, e.g. Z:.
- For Folder, enter the following: \\home#.ad.helsinki.fi\t\username
where the value for home# can be found in the table below, based on the first letter of your username, t is the first letter of your username and username is your username.
- Make sure that the checkboxes for Reconnect at sign-in and Connect using different credentials are checked.
Finally, click Finish.
Enter your username in the form ATKK\username (NB. backslash (Alt-Gr +)). Enter your password. If you select Remember my credentials, you will not have to enter your username and password every time.
Your home directory will now open in a new window and the drive icon appears in the This PC window.
This manual will demonstrate how to connect to your Home directory (Z-drive where your files are located) remotely. Note that in order to continue, you must have an active remote connection to the University network.
- Click the Windows button and choose Computer.
- Press the Map network drive button.
- Type in the following address into the Folder field:
where the home# value can be found in the table below according to the first letter of your username, the t is the first letter of your username and the username is your username.
first letter of username home# a home0 b c d e home1 f g h home2 i j home3 k l home4 m home5 n o p home6 q r s home7 t u v home8 w x y z home9
For example, the username of Raimo Keski-Vääntö is rkeskiva. That means the address of his home directory is \\home7.ad.helsinki.fi\r\rkeskiva
- Tick Connect using different credentials, make sure that the Reconnect at logon option isn't selected and click Finish button.
- Type your username with "atkk\" prefix (atkk\username (note backslash (Alt Gr and +)). Also type in your password. If you choose Remember my credentials you don't have to type in your credentials in the future.
- Press OK.
Now your home drive opens to a new window and the drive icon is displayed in the My Computer window.