Please give active feedback when using the service. You can give feedback several times. The decision on whether the service will be continued will be made based on the feedback.
You can find the feedback link on the WVD.
You can send us feedback about the instructions by clicking How would you improve these instructions? at the bottom of the page. We cannot provide any guidance through this link.
How can I participate in the pilot?
- Contact the Helpdesk (email or chat) to register for the pilot.
- A limited number of participants will be included in the pilot group.
- Open university students cannot participate in the pilot.
How does the WVD work?
- You can use it through the browser or install the client software on your computer.
- Use your university user account to use the service.
- You can work anywhere. You only need an Internet connection and a recent browser version.
- You can use some of the IT station applications on your own computer (such as SPSS, Stata, Atlas.TI and R for Windows). You should note, however, that the licence terms of some software with campus licences do not allow their use in cloud services.
- The pilot is restricted to University of Helsinki students and for teaching.
- The service is available from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- You can only save to the Z drive or OneDrive.
- The use of the browser is restricted. You can only use a couple of services, such as Office 365 e-mail. Access to several university services is prohibited (e.g. Sisu, Helpdesk instructions pages and many others). If necessary, use the browser on your computer outside the WVD.
- The roaming profile is not available.
- Only a limited number of simultaneous users. When the maximum number of users is reached, you will get the following notification:
- Log out of the WVD when you stop using it to free up some capacity for the other users.
- This is a cloud service. Read the information security rules for cloud services in Flamma.
- Use the Chrome or Edge browser. The screen captures in the instructions are from Edge. The details may differ in other browsers, but the process remains the same.
- Log in at https://rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com/arm/webclient/index.html
- Enter your username as email@example.com (such as firstname.lastname@example.org). Click Next.
- You will be forwarded to the university sign-in page. Wait a moment.
- Enter your username (such as rkeskiva) and password. Click OK.
- The available resources are shown. Click WVD Pilot Desktop.
- WVD asks for permission to use the desktop on your computer and the printer. Uncheck the checkboxes to deny the permission, if you like. In general, allowing the use is a good idea. Click Allow to do this.
- The service starts. Wait a moment.
- Enter your username (such as rkeskiva) and password. Click Submit.
- The WVD starts. Wait a moment.
- WVD is ready for use. Note the feedback links on the desktop. Please give active feedback when using the service. You can give feedback several times. The decision on whether the service will be continued will be made based on the feedback.
- You can save to the Z drive or to OneDrive.
- Click Start > profile image > Sign out.
- You come back to the selection of the WVD.
Then, click your name in the top right corner to log out.
- Click your name at the right top corner of the window. Click Sign Out in the menu.
- When you click your name, you will be forwarded back to the university sign-in page. When you click the three dots after your name, you can select Forget. This takes you to the Microsoft login page as in section Logging in above.
Using the client software
You can use the client software installed on your computer instead of the browser version.
Start by installing the software on your computer following these instructions provided by Microsoft.
- Once the software has been installed, you can start it from the start menu: Start > Remote Desktop.
- Click Subscribe with URL.
- Type https://rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com/api/arm/feeddiscovery in the address field.
- Log in using your university username (such as email@example.com).
- Click WVD Pilot Desktop.
- Enter the password for your username.
- WVD opens. You can use it just like the one on the browser; see the instructions above.
Microsoft’s own instructions can be found here.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?