It is possible to form an encrypted remote connection from your home computer to the servers of the University of Helsinki. A VPN connection is also useful in unencrypted networks. If you wish to access your home directory (i.e. the Z drive) or group directories (P drive) from your home computer, first act according to these instructions and then open the instructions for the remote use of home and group directory
Tunnelblick can be installed from the Managed Software Center on the University Mac's University menu.
The University of Helsinki IT Center has increased the capacity of the OpenVPN service by adding a new uh-vpn-helsinkifi-only connection.
Use the uh-vpn-helsinkifi-only (or HY-TUN) connection, if you work in your home network or another trusted network:
- Only necessary traffic is transferred via the university network (e.g. home directories, Efecte, SAP)
- Less traffic load on the university network
Use the uh-vpn-allroute (or HY-VPN) connection, if you are in another network, e.g. a café or a hotel
- All traffic is transferred securely through the university network
- More traffic load on the university network
For the university computer you can install Tunnelblick from Managed Software Center (see instructions)
Quick guide to home computers
- Download and install Tunnelblick from https://tunnelblick.net/
- Download and install the configuration profile files:
- Doubleclick downloaded files and install package
- Start Tunnelblick and form the connection by selecting Connect uh-vpn-helsinkifi-only or Connect uh-vpn-allroute.
See more information from detailed instructions
Installing Tunnelblick and HY-VPN for the home computer
Download and install the latest version of Tunnelblick from the https://tunnelblick.net/
Extract the dmg-file you just downloaded and copy Tunnelblick.app to the Applications folder.
Download the configuration profile files
Instructions for downloading files: Click the link with second mouse button and select Save link
Install the profile files by opening it from the Downloads folder.
When asking please enter the macOS administrator password.
Select Only Me (VPN settings only installed on the user account which is currently logged in) or, preferably, All Users (all user accounts have access to the VPN connection).
Tunnelblick creates a Tunnelblick folder in the Application Support folder where the configuration files are copied. The Only Me option creates a folder in the Library folder of the home folder and an All Users Macintosh HD in the Library folder.
Forming an encrypted connection
• Open the Applications folder and click on the Tunnelblick icon.
• A tunnel icon appears in the menu row in the top right corner of the screen. Click on the icon and select Connect uh-vpn-allroute or Connect uh-vpn-helsinkifi-only.
The software will ask for the user name and password you use in the university's services. After you have entered them, the software initiates the connection.
In future, you can form an encrypted connection by repeating the last three stages.
Disconnecting the connection
Click Tunnelblick icon and select Disconnect connection name
- You may have encountered a new security feature in High Sierra and higher which restricts the loading of kexts (system extensions). Read more from Tunnelblick's site.
- If the connection does not work, click on the tunnel icon and select VPN Details. Select Set nameserver in the Set DNS/WINS menu. If the connection still does not work, try another setting.
Remove saved credentials
If you have saved credentials to Keychain (Save in Keychain), you can delete information by clicking VPN Details… Click the cog icon and select Delete Configuration's Credentials from Keychain.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?