Instead of loading every page anew on each visit, browsers fetch previously loaded versions of them in order to minimize loading times. In this process, web pages are automatically saved into what is called a cache memory during browsing. This is usually a positive thing, but sometimes it can cause problems for users. For instance, the browser might show outdated content; or some services can behave strangely, or cease functioning altogether.
At times it may be necessary to erase the data your browser saves on your computer. This may be useful e.g. when addressing browsing-related problems, or in preventing other people who are using the same computer from accessing your browsing information.
Click the hamburger menu (1) at the top of the browser window. Select Options (2)
Select the Firefox menu > Preferences...
- In the left-side bar, select Privacy & security (1)
- Scroll down to History (2)
- Napsauta Clear history... (3)
- This opens a new window. Select the information you wish to delete.
- Under Time range to clear, select the time range to clear (1).
- Under History (2), select what you want to delete. Selecting Browsing & Download History and Cache is usually enough. (Note that depending on your preferences, login and/or form data of various sites saved on the browser may be cleared.)
More extensive measures are needed sometimes (in case of malfunctions of Outlook Web App, for example), and in such a case, you can also clear the Site Preferences and the Offline Website Data (3)
- Select Clear Now (4)
- You can now continue browsing or close the browser.
Click the three dots icon in the right-hand corner of the top bar (1)
In the menu that opens, click Settings (2).
Click You and Google.
Open the Clear browsing data menu.
The window that opens allows you to select the time range to clear under Time range (1) and to select (2) the history to be cleared from your browser. (Note that depending on your preferences, login and/or form data of various sites saved on the browser may be cleared.)
To finalise, click Clear data (3).
Internet Explorer (IE)
- Click the cog icon in the top right corner -> Internet options.
Select General -> Delete...
- Select the information you wish to delete. Selecting Temporary Internet files and Cookies is usually enough. (Note that depending on your preferences, login and/or form data of various sites saved on the browser may be cleared.)
- Click Delete
- At the top right side of the browser, click the three dots. In the menu, select Settings.
- Click Privacy & security.
- In the menu that opens, click Choose what to clear
- Select the information you wish to delete. Selecting Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files is usually enough. (Note that depending on your preferences, login and/or form data of various sites saved on the browser may be cleared.)
- Click Clear. The cache is cleared according to your choices.
Click the Safari menu at the top menu. Click Clear History...
Select the time range to clear from the drop-down menu (Last hour/Today/Today and yesterday/All history).
Click Clear History.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?