OWA (Outlook web App): Calendar
Separate instructions have been prepared for theadjustment of OWA's basic settings. These instructions explain how to change the language and profile picture, for example, and how to add a signature.
- Log into the service at https://office365.helsinki.fi
- Click the Calendar link at the top right corner to open the calendar.
- In this example, the calendar is opened in the monthly view. You can switch to daily or weekly view at (1). Today's date is 19 May (2). The next day is selected as active (3). There is one calendar entry for the day. Its information is shown in more detail on the right side of the window. Use the top bar links to navigate in the calendar (4).
- Double-click the day for which you want to create an entry.
- Alternatively, you can click the new event link at the left top corner.
- Fill in the information of the event in the window which opens (1).
- By default, an event lasts the whole day. Change the duration under (2) to select the start time for the event (3).
- If you want to, you can also specify a reminder of the event for yourself (4).
- When you are ready, click SAVE to save the event in your calendar (5).
- The event has now been added to the day in question in your calendar. Choose the day in question to see the detailed information for the events in the right side of the window.
You can edit your calendar entry as follows:
- Click the calendar entry (text).
- In the pop-up window, click EDIT.
- If the calendar item is a recurring one, choose either edit occurrence or edit series.
- To delete an entry, click DELETE.
You can divide your calendar entries into different categories as follows:
- Right-click the calendar entry.
- Choose categorize in the menu that opens.
- Choose the category.
- You can add new categories under Manage categories.
- Click Add new category.
- Enter a name for the new category (1).
- In the drop-down menu (2), you can choose a colour to describe the category.
- Click OK (3) when you are done.
The university's calendar system contains default settings which allow all users to see the availability information of other users. In practice, this means that others can see whether your calendar has a "free", "busy", "tentative" or "out of office" status for a given time. If you want to grant more permissions to others, follow these instructions.
- Click the SHARE link at the top right corner of the calendar.
- In the Share with: text field (1), type the name of the person you want to let view your calendar. The application automatically searches for people when you start typing the name.
- In the drop-down menu (2), choose how much information you want to share.
- Availability only means that the other person sees when you are busy, but they don't see any detailed information of the calendar item.
- You can change the subject of the e-mail in the Subject field if you like.
- When you are finished, click SEND. The selected persons receive an invitation by e-mail.
The university's calendar system contains default settings which allow all users to see the availability information of other users. To use other people's calendars, see Basic information in these instructions. If someone shares more permissions to their calendar to you, do as is explained in Extended information.
- In the calendar view, right-click the OTHER CALENDARS text in the left.
- Choose open calendar.
- In the text field, enter the name of the person you are looking for. OWA proposes matching names as you type. To select one of the proposed persons, click their name.
- Click open.
- The calendar has been added to your list of calendars.
If someone grants you permissions to their calendar exceeding the basic permissions, do as follows:
- When someone else wants to share their calendar with you, you will get a notification by e-mail: The default message subject is I'd like to share my calendar with you (1).
- More detailed information is shown in point (2).
- Click ADD CALENDAR to accept the request (3).
- You can share your own calendar with the person who sent you the invitation under (4).
- The calendars of other people are shown on the left side of the calendar view under your own calendar.
- You can specify different colours for the calendars. This makes it easier to manage various calendars.
- Right-click the other user's calendar.
- Choose > color > the colour of your choice.
- Click any calendar to temporarily show or hide it. If there is no tick by the calendar, the items of the calendar in question are not shown in the calendar view. In the example, the user's own items (1) and those of person (2) are shown. The items of person (3) are hidden.
- Create an item into your calendar.
- Add participants. Type the beginning of the name in the Attendees row (1). The application automatically searches and proposes suitable persons.
- You should enter information describing the meeting in the bottom text field unless the subject of the meeting is otherwise obvious to the attendees.
- Click SCHEDULING ASSISTANT (2).
- This shows whether the time is suitable for all attendees. In the example, one of the attendees is busy and two are available at the proposed time.
- Change the event information to can search for time which is free for all. In the example, the start time has been postponed until later in the same day.
- The new time suits everyone (1). Click OK (2) to accept the event.
- To send the invitation to the attendees, click SEND.
- The event has been added to your calendar.
- Click the event to view its basic information. In the example, one of the attendees has not responded yet.
- Click the Accepted or No response text to see more detailed information on the responses of the attendees.
The bookings of some meeting rooms have been transferred to Outlook. Not all meeting rooms can be booked via Outlook. You can book the meeting room when you send the meeting invitation:
- Open the calendar.
- Double-click the day for which you want to make a booking.
- Enter the subject of the meeting in the Event field (1).
- Add participants in the Attendees field (2).
- Choose the duration of the meeting in the drop-down menu.
- Click add room on the right to add a meeting room.
- Choose a suitable room from the drop-down menu.
- Open the SCHEDULING ASSISTANT.
- Make sure that the day view is open in the calendar (1).
- The participants are shown on the left side and as columns in the main view (2).
- The availability of attendees is shown in grey (3).
- The assistant suggests 8–9 a.m. as the time for the meeting (4).
- You can change the start time and duration of the meeting.
- Click a free area of the calendar (1).
- The booking information is updated (2).
- To change to a different meeting room, use the menu at the bottom bar.
- Click OK when you are done.
- Click SEND.
- The meeting invitation is sent to participants, and your calendar is updated.
To cancel a meeting and notify the participants, do the following:
- Click the calendar entry.
- Choose cancel meeting.
- The names of the recipients are pre-filled in the To field (1).
- Write the reason for the cancellation in the field (2).
- Send the message (3).
When someone sends you an invitation to participate in a meeting, you get a message by e-mail.
- You can either ACCEPT the invitation, give your TENTATIVE acceptance or DECLINE it.
- Click ACCEPT to accept the invitation. You can send an e-mail to the sender in all cases.
- To check the status of invitations, click the calendar item.