Unitube Uploader is available at https://lataamo.helsinki.fi
Unitube is a recording service for all University staff and students, providing a platform for uploading, watching and saving recordings, publishing them in different environments and managing the publishing rights of your own recordings. You can watch the recordings in Unitube Viewer and upload new content to the service in Unitube Uploader. In addition, different campuses have Unitube studios and Unitube lecture rooms that can be booked separately, allowing you to use card-based authentication to record directly into Unitube. Further information about Unitube studios and Unitube lecture rooms can be found in the Unitube instructions.
These instructions describe how to use Unitube Uploader. Separate instructions for adding captions to videos are available here.
Log into the Uploader at https://lataamo.helsinki.fi
- All recordings that you upload to the Unitube Uploader are first shown in your personal Inbox folder. Likewise, any recordings made in Unitube lecture rooms and Unitube studios are first only shown in your Inbox. Use the other tabs to view your own series, recordings and deleted recordings (1). Click Add new recording (2) to add recordings. The Inbox has a search functionality (3). A list of recordings in the Inbox is shown below it (4).
Uploading recordings to the Uploader
The service supports the most common video file formats, such as .avi, .mov and .mp4. The recording files of the programs in use at the University (e.g. Zoom and Screencast-o-Matic) should be successfully processed in the Uploader.
The maximum file size is 25 GB.
Please note the resolution. Remember to convert any high-quality (e.g. 4K) videos to HD quality before uploading them (or shoot the original video in HD) as the backend system will convert the videos into HD in any case, as converting while uploading may take a long time!
Note that you cannot update the video using the same ID. A separate ID is created for each upload.
- You can upload new recordings to the Uploader on the INBOX and MY RECORDINGS tabs (1). Click Add new recording (2).
- Click Choose File and find the file you want to upload (1). Select an expiration date (2). Click Upload (3). The recording is moved to your personal Inbox. Click the question mark (4) to see the Uploader’s own instructions.
- Wait a moment. The upload progress bar shows the progress of the upload.
- You receive a notification when the recording has been uploaded.
- The recording shows on the INBOX tab with status Processing the recording. Please wait a moment.
- When the video is complete, the status changes to The recording has been processed successfully.
When the processing of the recording is completed, you can select a publication series (1), change the title of the recording (2), give a description of the recording (3), set a deletion date (4), and select a publication licence (5). In addition, you can copy the video embed code (6).
- Choose the licence for the recording from the menu (1). Click the question mark next to it to see a brief description of the licence (2). More information about the licences is available on the Creative Commons community website at https://creativecommons.fi/
This licence may be used, for example, if the rightsholder of a recording has permitted you to upload a recording in Unitube, but if you do not own the rights to the recording yourself, or especially, if any further sharing of the recording is prohibited. In such a case, you must explicate this and name the holder of the rights in the description field!
- CC-BY – may be modified and utilised freely; source must be mentioned
This publishing licence allows the recording to be freely utilised, redistributed and modified as long as the original creator is credited.
- CC BY-NC-ND – may be distributed freely for non-commercial use
This publishing licence allows the recording to be redistributed for non-commercial use (use in education, for example), but it may not be modified and appropriate credit must always be given to the original creator.
- CC0 – No copyright reserved, free to use
This publishing licence states that the original creator waives all copyright to the recording to be published.
Copying recordings from the Uploader on your computer
- You can copy a recording from the Uploader on your computer using the download link (2) on the INBOX, MY RECORDINGS or DELETED RECORDINGS tab (1).
Deleting a recording
- Open the MY RECORDINGS tab (1).
- Click the recording to delete (2). This opens the details of the recording.
- At the bottom of the window, click Delete recording (3).
- Confirm by clicking Delete recording. The recording is moved to the DELETED RECORDINGS tab. You can still restore the recording from the Deleted recordings tab to a series or download it on your computer. The content will be permanently deleted in a few months
- The Uploader will notify you of the success of the deletion.
Recovering a deleted recording
- When you delete a recording, it is moved to the DELETED RECORDINGS tab (1). Deleted recordings are removed from Unitube completely after a specific period of time unless they have been recovered. You can recover recordings as long as they can be found in Deleted recordings.
- You can use the search functionality (2) to search for your recordings. From the drop-down menu (3), select the series you want to restore the recording to and click Recover recording (4).
The series are similar to folders; you can use them to organise your recordings based on the topic, target audience or course, for example.
- Use the MY SERIES tab to control the properties of series
Adding a new series
- On the MY SERIES tab, click Add new series.
- Fill in the series information carefully.
- Under Series Visibility, you can choose where and how to use the video. Please note that anyone who has the link can view videos in the Shared with a link series.
- When you have filled in the information, click Save.
- Your new series is now ready to use.
Moving a file to a series
Before you can publish a recording, it must be added to a series.
- You can move recordings between series using the INBOX and MY RECORDINGS tabs (1). Click the recording to move (2). This opens the details of the recording. Choose the series to which you want to move the recording from the menus, enter a description of the recording and select a publishing licence (3). Click Save (4) when you have filled in all the necessary information.
- Updating the information may take a while. You receive a notification when the recording has been moved to a new series.
Administration of permissions to series
- On the MY SERIES tab, open the series whose permissions you want to modify. Find the item Series administrator rights.
- Type at least four characters in the search field to begin the search. You can search for individuals in field (1) and for groups in field (2).
- To remove administrator rights, click the cross at the top right corner of the icon (3).
Each series has a unique identifier.
- On the MY SERIES tab, open Series basic information. Click the icon next to the ID.
- The ID is copied to clipboard. A confirmation of this is shown at the bottom of the page.
Recording ID and embed code
Just like series, also recording have a unique identifier. They also have an embed code.
- On the MY RECORDINGS tab, find the item Basic information of recording.
- Click the icon next to it to copy the ID (1) or the embed code (2) to clipboard. Note that the embed code only works if you have published the recording in Unitube Viewer or attached it to a Moodle course.
- You will receive a confirmation that the copying succeeded.
Series publication status
When you create a new series, you can choose where and how the video can be used.
- You can limit the visibility to the Moodle areas, so that the recording is only visible to the participants in the Moodle course to which the recording is attached. Instructions on how to do this are below.
- You can publish the series on the Unitube Viewer, in which case the recordings of the series will appear in the listings and search engines of the University of Helsinki’s website
- You can edit the settings so that the series can be shared with a link. Please note that anyone who has the link can view videos in the Shared with a link series. Recordings which have been shared with a link or embedded are not listed on the University of Helsinki’s webpages or the pages of public search engines.
- You can find the link for sharing the recording on the My Recordings tab, under Basic information of recording.
- Moodle instructions are available on the website of Educational Technology Services.
- Instructions on how to link Unitube videos to Moodle
Advice and support for problems
If you encounter problems with the Unitube Uploader or have any questions, you can send a message to the service e-mail, email@example.com
Video visibility issues
Can't see the video even though the series is marked as public? You can fix visibility and many other issues by updating the series metadata.
- In the Uploader, open the MY SERIES tab (1) and click the series information (2).
- Find Series visibility (1) and change the series information (2). Click Update series metadata (3) to save the changes.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?