Xabber is an instant message software you can use to join the group discussions (rooms) in the university's Jabber service. You can download Xabber for an Android phone from the Google Play store.
After downloading Xabber and launching it, you can define the settings.
- Launch Xabber.
- Select Add account.
- Fill in the following fields:
- Account Type: XMPP
- Username: your firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: the password of your user account.
- Untick options:
- Store passwords
- Integration into system contacts.
- Select Add account. Your account has now been set in the phone.
- Select the Android menu button in the Buddylist- view.
- Select Add.
- Select Join conference.
- Fill in the room's settings:
- Multi User Chat server: rooms.chat.helsinki.fi
- Conference: <name of room>
- Nick: name displayed in the room. It is recommended to use the default name, i.e. your username.
- Password: password, if required
- Join conference: if ticked, you will join the room. If not, the room will only be added to the room directory.
- Click Save conference.
The settings of your Jabber account still require the following changes:
- Start by selecting the Android's Menu button.
- Select Settings.
- On the list, select XMPP accounts.
A list of Jabber accounts is opened.
- Select your email@example.com.
Your will see a list of the settings related to the account. Scroll the list until you see TLS/SSL Usage. Tick option Require TLS. The settings are now completed. You can return to the main view by selecting return several times.