Home directory (z drive) in the university network (Windows)
University network users have and own home directory for saving files. It is equipped with 50 gigabytes of storage. It is personal, i.e. other uses don't have access to it.
You will find your home directory on a Windows 10 computer as follows:
Click the File Explorer icon in the bottom bar:
to open the Quick access folder. Click the This PC icon in the file directory at the left-hand edge of the window.
Your home directory will show as a Z network drive in the Devices and drives group.
You can find your home directory as follows:
- Click the Start button and choose Computer.
- The home directory is displayed in the Network Location group as a Z network drive.
- Files saved into the Documents folder are linked in to the My Documents folder which is a sub folder in the Z drive.
- Files saved into the Desktop are linked to the Desktop folder which also is sub folder in the Z drive.
Saving files into the Home directory and opening files
- Saving files into the home directory can be normally done by using the Save as command in the File menu.
- The Save as window opens. You can choose the destination folder in the Z drive by navigating through the folders in the left corner.
- Opening the files can be done in a similar fashion by using the Open command in the File menu.