There are so many variables in the login that detailed step-by-step instructions cannot be given. Here are a few tips on how to get started, however. Try and find your own way to work. The first login is different from future logins as some basic settings are set when you log in the first time.
If the browser is working strangely and these instructions don't seem to help, clear the browser's cache.
See Detailed help tab for more instructions
Cloud e-mail on a university computer
When you have logged in on a university computer using your username, you can access the cloud e-mail directly at https://www.helsinki.fi/office365. This means that you cannot log out of e-mail, such as from Webmail. You will stay logged in as long as you are logged in on the computer.
You can read your email on a computer used by someone else by temporarily switching users (Switch user). When someone else is logged on to the computer, you cannot log in to your own e-mail as the computer uses the information of the person who logged in first, opening their e-mail even if you try to log in using your own username. Read the instructions on how to log in.
Local e-mail on a university computer
You can use the local e-mail system at https://office365.helsinki.fi. A login window will open.
- Enter your username and password.
- We recommend selecting (1). When using staff computers, the selection allows the user to stay logged in, even during longer breaks.
- By selecting (2), you can log in to OWA light. OWA light has limited functionality compared to the full version, but it might be the only option for some browsers, operating systems and slow connections.
Local e-mail on a home computer
Local e-mail on your home computer works just like the above described e-mail on a university computer, but logging in may contain another step for the server stshy.itx.helsinki.fi. See below for further information.
The use of OWA is similar inside and outside the university network, but more steps might be required for logging in to OWA outside the university network.
At the first login, the application asks you to select some basic settings:
- Choose your language and time zone.
- The browser may ask you if you want to save data to your computer. Answer Allow.
You can access your e-mail after selecting the basic settings.
- Use the AppLauncher icon in the top left corner of the window to find links to the available applications.
You can change the settings later following these instructions.
Opening OWA from a bookmark
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?