The University offers storage facilities, data processing environments, high-performance computing services and solution consultation for the special needs of research and cooperation. You will find links to detailed instructions and presentations on this page.
- Read more about the University’s data support on the University’s public website
- Think Open Blog (BLOG TEXTS PARTLY IN FINNISH AND PARTLY IN ENGLISH!)
Storage and file sharing
- Personal storage space associated with the UH user account.
- How to use the home directory (Windows)
- How to use the home directory (Mac)
- How to use the home directory (Cubbli, Cubbli User Documentation -wiki, available in English)
- A network storage location belonging to the University’s own server environment, which is available to a specified user group within the University.
- How to use a group directory
- Personal storage space in the Microsoft Office 365 cloud service environment, from which files can also be shared
- How to use OneDrive
- A collaborative platform in the Microsoft Office 365 cloud environment, where you can set up workgroups and also share files with partners outside the University of Helsinki
- Instructions for Teams and Planner
- Best practices for Teams
- The IT Center offers customised Linux and Windows servers for internal use at the University of Helsinki
- A space equivalent to a group directory, acquired for the unit for large storage needs. Further information about gaining access to a Dept directory is available from Helpdesk or your unit’s administrative staff.
- Object storage that uses the S3 interface and belongs to University’s own server environment.
- Suitable for non-sensitive research data, with functionality similar to those of cloud services.
- Files are not edited directly in Datacloud, so it is not suitable as a scratch disk.
- Contact: email@example.com
Virtual desktops and computing environments
- Virtual desktops with both Linux and Windows operating systems
- Instructions for Virtual Desktops
- Windows Virtual Desktop
- Instructions for Windows Virtual Desktops
- The IT Center’s IT for Science team provides computing capacity and other advanced services for research needs
- Learn more about computing clusters in the IT for Science wiki
- An easy-to-use application for surveys that do not contain sensitive material
- Instructions for basic use of e-forms
Visiting researchers and access rights
The IT Center offers solution consultation for the special needs of units and research groups. Solution consultation typically comprises minor assignments lasting approximately 1–5 workdays with the goal of producing a proposed solution for the client which can be used as the basis for fulfilling a need related to information technology. Typical subjects of solution consultation include market surveys and needs assessments, research data storage needs, minor IT systems and other large-scale purchases.
Contact via Helpdesk: firstname.lastname@example.org
CSC – IT Centre for Science Ltd offers a wide range of computation and storage solutions to higher education institutions. The services are free of charge for research projects, but the researcher in charge must be a member of a higher education institution that has the right to use the services.
- Storage space suitable for rarely changing research data that is not sensitive: https://www.fairdata.fi/en/ida/
- Object storage that uses the S3 interface and belongs to the CSC’s server environment https://research.csc.fi/-/allas
SD Connect & SD Desktop
- An environment for processing and storing sensitive data in the CSC’s server environment
CSC cloud computing environment
CSC high-performance computing environment
- Wiki and collaboration platform available also for cross-organisational projects
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?