Access rights are almost always required for using the university IT systems. All staff and students at the university should hold some type of access rights. Applications for access rights should be submitted to the University of Helsinki IT Center.
NOTE: Instructions for Open University students can be found here on the Open University site.
All individuals who register for attendance at the University of Helsinki will receive a username without needing to go through a separate application process. This also applies to students studying separate courses and open university students. Access rights can be activated in the following ways:
Staff and others
If you do not have a valid employment relationship with the university, Helpdesk will ask the contact person you specified in the application form to support your application. For this reason, being granted the account may take longer than normal.
You can apply for new access rights in the following manner:
- Fill the application form (see Quick help tab)
- The applicant’s role “Other” includes, for example, the university’s administration
- A sufficient reason for creating a user account for the university staff is “employment relationship with the university”
- Send the application to the address mentioned in the application form
- You will receive an e-mail when your new access rights are ready for use
- Activate your new access rights by using the password reset tool
(instructions for using the reset tool)
Alternatively, you can activate your access rights by using the ID Point service
- You will be given a permanent username and a temporary password
- Please change the temporary password immediately
Access rights are personal - lending them to anyone else is absolutely prohibited.
The user account holder is responsible for all use of the account.
Additional access rights and other types of usernames
When a new username has been granted, you can apply for additional access rights according to these instructions. A staff member can apply for special accounts for visitors or for teaching according to the same instructions.
Restoring an expired user account
More instructions about user accounts
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?