Remote access to university services
Sometimes you may need to use the university’s internal databases, directories or certain online services from outside the university (e.g., your home directory or SAP). In that case, you need to connect to the university network. For that, you need to establish a secure (encrypted) communication channel, a so-called VPN tunnel. The university offers several options to achieve this. The easiest way to access certain limited services is to use a VPN portal, an application running in your browser. For more advanced use, you are advised to install a genuine VPN client. With a VPN client, your home directory will appear as a network drive on your computer. Computers of the university staff have a VPN client called Pulse Secure preinstalled.
Remote access to the services of University of Helsinki are also discussed in Student’s digital skills.
- Using VPN in Cubbli (in Finnish only)
- HY-VPN (home PC with Windows)
- Setting up a VPN tunnel with Tunnelblick (Mac) (in Finnish and Swedish)
The University of Helsinki uses a remote desktop (VDI environment) used with VMware client software. You can also run other programs on the remote desktop just as you would on a conventional university workstation.
NB! When using a remote desktop, close other vpn connections (OpenVPN / Pulse Secure) to avoid reserving two vpn licenses.
Laptops of the university staff have a VPN client called Pulse Secure preinstalled. Limited number of licenses.
- Pulse Secure (university laptop with Windows 10)
- Pulse Secure (university laptop with Mac) (in Finnish only)
- Pulse Secure (own Mac laptop)
- Pulse Secure (iPad, iPhone ja iPod)
- Pulse Secure (Android) (in Finnish only)
With the VPN portal, you can also download files in home and group directories to your home computer for editing and upload them back to the university server. In addition, you can use the SAP software required for university administration and other online services requiring a secure connection via the portal. If your remote use needs cannot be met with browser-based solutions, you can install a stand-alone HY-VPN application on your own computer. Staff laptops have a corresponding program, called Pulse Secure, preinstalled on them..
Log in to the VPN portal at: https://www.vpn.helsinki.fi
- VPN portal: a secure connection with university
- VPN portal: Downloading, uploading and deleting files
- VPN portal: Using folders
- VPN portal as a proxy server
You can access your home directory through a VPN tunnel while outside the university.