In order to use the IT services of the University of Helsinki, you must first activate your user account.
The user account activation tool is intended for those University of Helsinki students who do not yet have a user account for university IT systems or whose user account has expired.
- As a student, activate your user account with the online tool at: www.helsinki.fi/atk/aktivoilupa
- See separate illustrated instructions for activation
Activating the user account online requires banking credentials, a mobile certificate or an electronic ID card and a card reader device!
Activate your user account before starting your studies!
Activate your user account at: www.helsinki.fi/atk/aktivoilupa. You can start using the user account approximately one hour after the activation.
You can activate the user account yourself when
- you have received an email prompting you to activate your user account
- you have a Finnish personal identity code
- you have online banking credentials, a mobile certificate or an electronic identity card issued by the police
- you want to register as an attending student and start your studies
Once you have activated your user account
- For instructions, see: This is how you change your password online
- Remember to also activate MFA authentication. For instructions on how to start using the MFA service, please refer to the separate instructions.
- Password needs to be changed once a year!
Please note that your username will remain the same throughout your studies at the University, even if your name changes.
See the Detailed help tab for more information and detailed information on activation
Please check your information before activating
If there is an error in your data (e.g. your name is incorrect), select “Log out of service” to stop activating. Then, please contact the student services to correct your data.
Who the activation service is intended for
The user account activation tool is intended for students selected to study in the University of Helsinki. The Open University students of the University of Helsinki and students of other universities carrying out minor subject studies in the University of Helsinki can also activate their user accounts with the same tool.
You can activate the user account yourself when your information is found in the student register and you are either “attending”, “selected” or “not registered” in the register. The student register will send you an email notification once your data has been recorded in the register. When logging in to the activation tool, the service will also indicate whether your information can be found in the student register.
The information should be found in about a week’s time from when your have officially confirmed your place (or from when the documentation for a student admitted through special admissions has been delivered to the faculty).
- If your admission is not updated, contact the unit which has granted the student rights.
- If the activation of the user account is not possible even though your information is found in the register, please contact the IT Helpdesk.
- In most issues concerning user accounts, the IT Helpdesk must first be able to reliably identify the caller. Authentication can be done, for example, through the ID Point service.
Those students who cannot use the activation service can activate their user account in connection with the Welcome Fair events for new students arranged in the autumn and spring or apply for an user account through the IT Helpdesk by filling out a user account application.
How to activate your user account
Note! Activation may not be possible on all mobile browsers. In this case, use the computer's browser.
Go to user account activation online tool >>
Activation service instructions: See separate instructions for using the user account activation tool
For the user account activation service, you must have:
- A Finnish personal identity code
- Online banking credentials, an electronic identity card issued by the police as well as a card reader or a valid mobile certificate on your phone.
You can start using the user account approximately one hour after the activation. However, some services will only work starting from the next day.
The password you receive upon activation is the start password, so change it after the first time you use it.
Can't activate your user account online?
If you are unable to activate your user account on your own, please fill in the user account application and submit it to the IT Helpdesk. The IT Helpdesk sends you a notification to the email address given in the application when you can start using the user account.
In case of any problem, please contact the IT Helpdesk.
Useful information for a new student
All user account instructions compiled
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?