Instructions for purchasing and changing a new computer.
How to order a new computer?
When in need of a new computer, see instructions in Flamma under How to purchase a computer
Your message should include at least the following information:
- Information on the computer to be ordered (requested model and possible optional features, such as a dock)
- The person who will confirm the order (person responsible for the unit’s acquisitions)
- Tulosyksikön tunnus (e.g. H900)
- WBS code (e.g H900/900125) and information on the account from which the device will be paid – this allows the invoice to be processed faster.
- Information of the end user of the computer: name, e-mail, building/room number and phone number
- Name of the current computer (can be found from top section of the university menu), makes changing the computer easier
When using a new computer for the first time
NOTE! Use the wired university network when logging in for the first time!
The wireless network WILL NOT WORK when logging in for the first time.
- Always use the secure VPN connection in networks outside the university. This keeps the software and information security updated.
- See video instructions for taking a new University computer into use:
How to connect your new computer
Take your time to go through these instructions. If you have any questions, please contact Helpdesk.
- Various connectors can be used for the monitor. Use the connector you have for the monitor. If you cannot connect the monitor or you need an adapter, please contact Helpdesk.
- Docking stations may be different in appearance, but they all include the necessary ports.
- If the network connection does not work or you cannot see anything on the monitor, wait for a while for the drivers to install. If the connection still does not work, try connecting the cable to another similar port.
- The automatic installation of Smartcard printers may take a few business days.
Connect the keyboard and mouse (USB)
Connect the network cable
Network cable (RJ-45) and network port
Connect the monitor
There may be various monitor cables. The images represent the most common monitor cables: HDMI, Display Port and USB-C.
Connect the power cables of the computer and the monitor
Updating computer outside the university
NB! Always use the secure VPN connection in networks outside the university. This keeps the software and information security updated.
Read more about connections outside university
Wireless Connections (eduroam)
Eduroam comes preinstalled. When logging in, enter your username in the form firstname.lastname@example.org (e.g. email@example.com ).
Transferring files from the old computer
The user is responsible for transferring files from their old computer to the new.
- For the network drives (Z, P and other potential network drives), the information is online and automatically appears on the new computer. The home directory is usually available when you log in to your computer. In some cases, the home directory must be mapped (activated) manually. In practice, this applies to remote use of the home directory from a home computer.
- Any files saved on the computer (usually LocalData/HY-DATA folder) must be transferred personally. This can be done using the network drive or USB memory.
Please note that software settings are not automatically transferred to the new computer. If you are using the S/MIME certificate for e-mail encryption, you must transfer the certificate to the new computer. For more detailed S/MIME instructions, see here.
Recycling old devices
After switching computers, order a pickup for the old device from Helpdesk. Learn more about recycling devices.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?