- Group storage space (previously group directory) is a shared network storage location with backup copying.
- Only service coordinators can create group storage spaces.
- Everyone at the university may create groups that are used for the administration of the group storage spaces. In these instructions, “group” refers to IAM groups.
- Read more about the roles, responsibilities and rights of group members, group owners, persons in charge of the group storage space (role to be discontinued), group in charge of group storage space, and service coordinators in the detailed instructions. One person may hold several roles, or the roles can be divided between several persons. Each group or individual using group storage space should consider, already when ordering group storage space, what the best method for the division of roles is in their case.
The secure Umpio storage space is a network folder designed for sensitive data. Storage space orders are run by solution consultants as the needs must be processed case-specifically.
- In these instructions, “group” refers to IAM groups.
- Anyone at the university can create a group using this administration tool. Instructions on how to use the administration tool.
- A group may have different purposes. They can be used for the administration of, for example, e-mail lists, Flamma workgroups or group storage spaces. These instructions focus on the use of groups in the administration of group storage space.
- A group register replacing Alma’s group management. More information about IAM is available here.
- Recommendations about the use of IAM groups are available on the Helpdesk site.
- Link to the administration tool of IAM groups.
- The members of the group may be persons or other groups
- The group has an owner who uses the administration tool to administer the group’s member list.
- Please note that the group owner is not automatically a member of the group. Instead, they must be added as a member just like anyone else.
- A group owner may add and remove members to/from the group. Only the owner can see the members of a group whose name starts with “grp” (read more about groups). You can use the administration tool to find out who the owner of the group is.
- Please note that the group owner is not automatically a member of the group.
Helpdesk instructions about storage and the choice of storage method
Group storage space
- A network storage location. Group storage space is also called a group directory, group drive, network drive or P drive.
- Basic service provided free of charge until the unit-specific quota; service provided against a fee if the quota is exceeded. Price list in Flamma.
- May be shown automatically when you log into the workstation, or may require the so-called mapping of the drive:
Person in charge of the group storage space
- Decides which groups have read or read and write access to the group storage space. Please note that the group owner is the administrator of the group’s member list.
- The person in charge of the group storage space gets notifications when the group storage space expires or the storage quota runs out.
- The person in charge of the group storage space notifies the service coordinator of the desired changes and updates.
Group in charge of group storage space
With the RYHTI tool (page in Finnish), the members of the group in charge of group storage space can update the basic information of the storage space and manage groups' reading / reading and editing access to the group storage space. Please note that the member list of an access group is controlled by the owner of the group in question.
The group in charge of group storage space is notified of expiring storage space and end of storage quota.
NOTE: The implementation of groups in charge of storage space is in its early stages.
- A service coordinator creates and administers group storage spaces using this tool (only accessible to service coordinators). The instructions for service coordinators are available in the closed Flamma workgroup area.
NOTE: Members of groups in charge of directories can carry out most of the storage space administration through the RYHTI tool. A coordinator is only required for creating a directory and increasing the quota.
Why can’t I see the group storage space?
- Group memberships are only set when you log in. If you have been granted new rights, they will only enter into force when you log out and log in again.
- Check whether you are a member of the group using the storage space. A group owner may add new members. You can use the search function of the IAM administration tool to find out who the owner of the group is.
- If necessary, the service coordinator can determine the person in charge of the group storage space and which groups use a specific group storage space.
- Mapping the group storage space manually to the computer may be necessary. If you don’t know the path to the group storage space, ask the other group members or, as a last resource, the service coordinator.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?