The University offers many browser-based services. Here you can find user instructions for the most common ones. Please note that some of the services may not work perfectly on all operating systems and browsers.
You can also find most of the services and links to the relevant guidelines in Flamma, under the Tools menu. If you wish, you can edit the list of tools in Flamma.
Many of the University’s services require a VPN connection when accessed from outside the University (e.g. from home). More detailed instructions on establishing a VPN connection are available in these comprehensive guidelines.
Microsoft Office 365
An online tool for transferring large files
Funet FileSender – An online tool for transferring large files
- Teams offers a single location for meetings, tools and content. You can create and edit files, communicate via video or instant messages and use other Office 365 software directly through Teams.
- Jabber is an instant messaging network that allows you to join group discussions or send private messages to other Jabber users. You can also set up new discussion forums. You need separate client software to use Jabber.
Wiki and Flamma Workgroups
A network service for creating and publishing content and for cooperation involving University staff and students, visitors and other organisations.
You can find a more detailed description of the Wiki in the list of services.
The University’s blog service can be used to set up blogs for various uses related to or touching on the University’s activities.
All the University’s employees are users of the SAP HR personnel system. Employees use this system to apply for annual leave and report absences, for example.
- Log in to SAP HR here.
- Can’t you see the pop-up windows? See the instructions under SAP Finance.
The SAP financial administration system is a tool for managing, posting and approving invoices.
In the University’s internal network, the service can be found at: https://msap.helsinki.fi/flp
To use SAP from outside the university network, install the HY-VPN application on your computer.
- When processing invoices, the top and bottom edges of the window are hidden
- Pop-up windows do not open (Mozilla Firefox, Windows)
- Pop-up windows do not open (Mozilla Firefox, Macintosh)
Remote support service Bomgar
Virtual desktops (VDI)
The University of Helsinki offers a virtual desktop environment (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure; VDI environment) used with the VMware client software (VMware Horizon Client) or a browser at vdi.helsinki.fi. The virtual workstation environment enables university workstations to be used safely from outside the University.
Staff members can use both Windows and Cubbli virtual desktops. Students can use Cubbli.
UniSign – Electronic signature system
- The system is used for documents that are not signed in Riihi or that have been agreed upon to be signed by hand.
- University staff and students log in to the system with their university username by clicking on the “Log in using your organizational account” in the login window.
- The authentication of signatories from outside the University of Helsinki takes place in two stages (email + SMS).
Do you need a dictionary? You have access to Sanakirja.fi (or MOT Kielipalvelu), which requires you to log in.
The instructions site of the University of Helsinki's IT Helpdesk helps you with IT-related issues related to your work. Let us know how we can improve our instructions. We greatly appreciate your feedback!How would you improve these instructions?